What We Do
As an educational institution, SLU collects, processes, and stores information about its employees, applicants, students, parents and guardians, alumni, service providers, and other individuals for a variety of purposes. It is the policy of SLU that whatever information it gathers will be collected, processed and stored pursuant to the general principles of transparency, legitimate purpose, and proportionality, as mandated by Republic Act No. 10173 or the Data Privacy Act (DPA) of 2012, its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR), and other relevant data privacy issuances by the National Privacy Commission (NPC).
The Data Protection Office is a unit responsible for ensuring that the Louisian community is compliant with the DPA. As such, it has the following functions:
- Establish and implement policies, procedures and guidelines intended to protect all personal data (personal information, sensitive personal information and privileged information) collected, processed and stored by SLU, in accordance to the DPA.
- Monitor compliance with the DPA, its IRR and all applicable data protection laws and policies.
- Promote awareness and conduct trainings on data privacy and security among its personnel, students, applicants, parents and guardians and service providers.
- Assess and give advice to personnel and students regarding requests for personal data and other concerns related to data privacy and security.
- Give advice and recommendations on the interpretation or application of the DPA, its Implementing Rules and Regulations, and other applicable data protection laws and policies.
- Assist all units in the establishment and administration of their respective PIAs (Privacy Impact Assessment).
- Manage data breach and security incidents in accordance with the provisions of the DPA and NPC.
- Cooperate and coordinate with the NPC on data privacy and security matters.
Dr. Cecilia A. Mercado: Data Protection Officer
Willy S. Olivete, Jr.: Information Security Administrator
Ma. Concepcion B. Clemente: Assistant Data Protection Officer